Time to Search for Angel Beats! Literally...

Hi, people. Welcome!!!! I'm here to talk about another anime...an anime that I finished watching for a long, long time. It is quite a popular anime. Its name is Angel Beats!

That hug...BTW, it's from Angel Beats!

Angel Beats is really popular. You could an anime fan and the person will almost always suggest Angel Beats. Why is it so popular? To be honest, I didn't really know but I will be exploring it with you. Let's dig into it. Now!



WARNING:-

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched it and plan to watch it without anyone being the spoiler, please DON'T CONTINUE READING!!!



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it. You HAD been warned. Don't blame me for being spoiled if you INSIST on continuing to read this post.

Introduction


The anime...

The anime, Angel Beats (in Japanese, エンジェルビーツ! ) is an original Japanese anime television series produced by P.A.Works and directed by Seiji Kishi. The story for this anime is originally conceived by Jun Maeda, who also wrote the screenplay and composed the music with the group Anant-Garde Eyes, with original character design by Na-Ga. Anyway, the anime was aired in Japan between April 3 and June 26, 2010, on Chubu-Nippon Broadcasting Co., Ltd. (CBC). Anyway, there are two original video animation (OVA) episode being produced after the release of the anime itself.

More anime shots...

Oh yeah, there are other franchises, a light novel and a few manga adaptations are being done, which you can look up the list on the internet (or just the Wikipedia). Anyway, the one adaption that I know is the Visual Novel, which is named Angel Beats 1st Beat. I think the story in it is pretty much the same as the anime, with probably some tweaks. I don't know. I didn't play the game. Anyway, let's move on. No need me to list every merchandise related to it, isn't it?

The VN...

Plot


The one confused MC...

The story starts with a confused, lost boy called Otonashi. He died and then went into the afterlife school somehow. The worst thing is he lost his memories of his life after death and didn't even know that he is dead. Wow...what a way to start a story. Anyway, moving on.

The girl with a gun...

Suddenly, he meets a girl named Yuri who invites him to join the Afterlife Battlefront, which is an organization formed by her in order to fight against the student council president Kanade Tachibana, a girl who is also known as Angel with supernatural powers. Unable to believe Yuri's claims that Tenshi is evil, Otonashi attempts to speak with her, but the encounter doesn't go as he intended.

Kanade and Otonashi's 1st encounter...well, interesting, should I say

Anyway, you will slowly know one trait of this so-called battle squad. It is more of a group that do stupid things to make Kanade's life hard. What...well, anyway, Otonashi decides to join the SSS to fight against Kanade under really bizarre circumstances. BTW, we are still not told of her name at that point. Anyway, the story moves on repeating different mission that makes no sense what so ever in achieving Yuri's goals.

Yuri...oh, Yuri.

What is she aiming for by fighting Kanade? Finding god himself to fight her injustice when she was alive. Her backstory is really tragic...wow. Anyway, Otonashi finds himself oddly drawn to Kanade while trying to regain his memories. As the story unveils, Otonashi grew to understand Kanade and slowly unravels the mysteries of this world. Well, there is not much that I could summarize about this anime's story, to be honest.

That scene...lol!

Anyway, as I'm thinking of the question: "Why is Angel Beat so popular?", I can't help but think of Seishun Buta Yarou. The story is similar in a way where some of the characters had issues that caught in a position that they didn't wanna be in. And also, they had issues resolved at the end. Of course, Angel Beats doesn't exactly follow this trend until late on. I felt that Seishun Buta Yarou is better than Angel Beats. I will tell you in the rating section.

The memory lane...


Anyway, back to the question. As I have searched on the internet, there is a lot of answers. Probably the best answer that I could find comes from this: "It looks good, has pretty characters with bonus romance tags and has an interesting premise." And maybe, you could find the answer from the user's comment on this anime on anime listing sites like MAL and AniListI felt that there is a big issue regarding the main character, Otonashi's background story and how he got into the place. If you have an answer, tell me down in the comments section. Anyway, let's move on from here. Shall we?

Another tense moment...

Anime Rating


Story (Rating: 8/10)

The story is relatively light-hearted and silly in the initial parts. It then slowly progress on to reveal the true nature of the world and the identity of "Tenshi". The story's plot is decent but with some plot hole regarding Otonashi and Kanade. The timing of their arrival in that world doesn't really make sense, to be honest. That reminds me...Seishun Buta Yarou doesn't have such an issue. I have more to say about these little flaws of this anime in a later segment, but before I move on, I would like to say that the pacing of the story is at least, decent, for me. BUT...not so for one WordPress writer. Anyway, the OVA is mostly comedy and nothing much to talk about here.

I remember this...

Art and Animation (Rating: 8/10)

The character and animation are well-drawn and well-made. Yeah...that's it. The animation is pretty good, to be honest. The fighting animation is good too!

Fight!

Sound and Music (Rating: 8/10)

The BGMs are good music and are well-fitted to the situation. Anyway, the opening theme song is legendary and the ending song is good (although not to my taste). The insert songs are also pretty good, especially the ones sang by Girls Dead Monster.

Good music, I say.

Characters (Rating: 6/10)

The character...they are well-drawn and cute at times...BUT...the character development doesn't really bring us a deep connection with them. Probably Kanade and Yuri only? Maybe also Otonashi. I really don't know. For me, there are not a lot of likeable characters in this anime. Compare it to Seishun Buta Yarou. The Seishun Buta Yarou story brings a deeper connection with the females that are in contact with the MC. And again, this is my opinion. I think that Angel Beats is a little overrated (maybe). The relatability of the characters to the audience? Well, it's probably the character's past. Also, another minus to the show because of the issue of the background story of Otonashi and Kanade that I mentioned in the previous section.

That scene...oh, man...

Enjoyment (Rating: 9/10)

Did I enjoy it? Well, I did. The fighting is good. The mystery is good. And wait...should I have given a higher mark...maybe not. That's how I felt after rewatching and skimming through the various episodes of Angel Beats. I might wanna rewatch it properly someday though.

LMFAO!



Overall Rating: 7.8 (7.5)/10

Screenshots


That song...

That scene...LOL!

What the? Is this some sort of prison?!

Wow...that scene...heavy...

Kanade is quite cute, I admit.

Oh, no...not that scene again...

More fights!!!

LOL...that scene...the calm before the storm, I guess.

PV/Trailer












Conclusion


Sorry for the inactive days and times and weeks. I have been busy trying to fit into my new working life and schedule. I will try to write more this week because of the public holidays. Anyway, it looks like it's the end of this post. I hope that you as a reader had enjoyed reading it and I would hope to have you once again. Goodbye, and God bless you!

Oh, man...that hug. I think I'm gonna cry...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

You said NO Fighting High School Girls?! Why not?

SukaSuka Anime Review: A SERIOUS Contender for Having the Longest Title for An Anime EVER!!!

A Tribute to KyoAni: An Afternoon Tea Time with the Girls from K-On

Finding the Most Powerful and Hopefully, the Absolute Duo! Literally.