Time for a fanfare!!!! Fanfare of Aikatsu!!!!! Aikatsu on steroids!!!!!!

Hi! How are you? For me, things have calmed down a little, it seems. With COVID-19 pandemic faded away in my country but still around, we can't afford to let our guts down now. In fact, we need to level up our healthcare system against future pandemics. OK, back to the topic. I have written and published a few posts on the way, including this one on Princess Principal's OP.

A cute picture to begin the post!

Actually, I wanted to post this back in March or April but I've decided against it because I wanted to publish this post after COVID-19. Plus, there is an ONA spin-off related to this series, which has a REALLY long time gap in between different episodes. So, I decided to hold off the publishing of it. Anyway, since COVID-19 won't be gone any time soon, so I decided to make it a post to lighten things up. So, Aikatsu on Parade! アイパラ、始まります!



WARNING:-

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched it and plan to watch it without anyone being the spoiler, please DON'T CONTINUE READING!!!



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it. You HAD been warned. Don't blame me for being spoiled if you INSIST on continuing to read this post.

Introduction


Oh, the anime BTW.

Aikatsu on Parade! (in Japanese, アイカツオンパレード!), the successor of Aikatsu Friends...well, not really. It is not really a successor in a sense? Never mind whether is a successor or not. All I could say is that Aikatsu on Parade is another Aikatsu series (or more like a series that "combines" all the Aikatsu series) that came after Aikatsu Friends, a sequel in short. Anyway, just the previous series, it is an arcade collectable card game in Bandai's Data Carddass line of machines, which was launched on October 5, 2019. The anime TV series, which is done by BN Pictures premiered on October 5, 2019. Sadly, it has the LEAST amount of episode of the series, which is 25 episode. I feel like the episodes of this series is reducing as the series go on...sigh...

The ONA...

Ahem! Oh, BTW, a web season of the anime titled Aikatsu on Parade! Dream Story was announced and started airing on March 28, 2020, after the television series ended, along with an addition to the Data Carddass game. I will talk about this ONA together with the anime itself. And also, interestingly, another new Aikatsu project was announced to start in Autumn 2020. I bet it will have 12 episodes. I'm just saying. DO NOT take my word for it. Ahem! Time to move on!


Plot


That scene...what is she trying to do?

Kiseki Raki incoming!

The story starts with a new transfer student in her second-year middle school, Kiseki Raki. She transferred to Star Harmony Academy to become an idol. She received an Aikatsu Pass she received from her elder sister Saya who is an Aikatsu engineer. This will very important for the next 24 episodes.

That door...

The room of doors...to a new journey!

Raki went to perform in the freshmen live stage and something happens. When she finished performing on stage and took out her card from the system, a special door presents itself. When she opens the door, she enters a realm where a lot of doors appeared before her (and Pure Palette members as they were somehow being dragged along).

The new Aikatsu journey...

Well, Raki opens one of the doors, bringing the group into a new world. And wait...Nijino Yume?! Wait, wait, wait!!! Why are you here? And is it the Aikatsu Stars world?! They will also enter the OG Aikatsu world, meeting Oozora Akari and co. Wow...and also, eventually, the worlds merge into one until the end of the season. Sad.

Awww...come on, already at the end?

Anyway, this is a journey of Raki, the MC experiencing the different Aikatsu world, together with Yuuki Aine and Minato Mio and every single character in the different Aikatsu world. From there, Raki takes on the journey to design her own premium rare dress and perform in it onstage.

Raki...on her fashion design route...

Well, this is the best I can describe the anime. Oh, the anime has quite a lot of the old songs being reused and repackaged. Of course, there are new songs but they are few compared to the old ones. So yeah...what could I say...? Nothing much, to be honest. As for the ONA, they are supplementary of Aikatsu on Parade story. Well, the main character in that ONA becomes Otoshiro Noel, who is a minor character in the Aikatsu franchise and also talks about another Aikatsu competition, Dream School Prix where each school choose three representative and battle among each other to find the winner to represent the school in the final battle. NICE! Anyway, time to move on!

Noel...time for you to be the MC!

Anime Rating


Anime

Story (Rating: 8/10)

The story is pretty simple although it gives us a lot of surprises and mysteries. The story is about Raki growing into a formidable idol and dress designer. Seeing her dreams come true is great but seeing the end of the anime is pretty sad as there's no more crossover rampage. sigh...Anyway, the plot gives a breath of fresh air to the franchise but it is mostly very similar to the old ones except for the appearance of a rival in the second season. I dun mind it though. Why? Because I am a fan of this franchise. Ahem! Anyway, the story is plot is pretty decent and have good pacing and flow. As a fan of the Aikatsu franchise, if I dun understand the story, SHAME ON ME! TBH, the story is pretty easy to understand even for a non-fan.

The mystery...

Art and Animation (Rating: 9/10)

Hmmm...the anime uses a lot of repeated sequences from the old series in the dancing and singing part. Other than that, it's generally an improvement from the older series. The switch between CGI (3D animation) and 2D animation is done well and are compatible with each other. The arts and animation are drawn well, well made and consistent. Oh, one thing, they cut off the transformation sequence, which I think that it is a good choice as there are crossovers all over the place, which makes the job difficult as the animator need to choose what kind of transformation sequence for every crossover.

Mirai and Akari...performance!!!! OH YEAH!!!

Sound and Music (Rating: 8/10)

The lack of new song is quite prominent as there is a lot of remake of the old songs of the franchise. The opening and ending song is good. The ending sequence...uses the new version of an old song and the original version of the old song. TBH, there is no original ending song, which is sad. Well, not that I mind that they use the old songs. In fact, I do like some new versions of the old songs where it's just different people singing them. Oh, the BGM? I have nothing to complain about.

Ribbon...from the opening sequence...

Characters (Rating: 8/10)

The development of characters? Hmmm...only for Kiseki Raki. The rest? Mostly are for nostalgia and being a sidekick for Raki and also, driving her growth as an idol and dress designer. I dun mind though because I like a lot of the characters from the previous series. Ichigo, Akari, Hinaki, Hikami...Ahem! I'm going out of topic. Anyway, for me, Kiseki Raki is kinda meh to me. Not really a fan of her. I like the characters from the previous series. Relatability? Work hard and get help along the way when you're having a hard time. That's all I can say. xD

Soleil...those days...

...they are really cute, nice and fun together. xD

Enjoyment (Rating: 10/10)

Despite I feel that it is more like an attempt to revive the Aikatsu franchise than a new series of the franchise itself, I absolutely enjoyed it! ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss those old characters, especially Shinjo Hinaki. Hinaki-chan is my WAIFU!!! Ahem! I'm sorry. I lose my cool there. Anyway, in short, I enjoyed it. xD

I love you, Shinjo Hinaki!!!



Overall Rating: 8.6 (8.25)/10

ONA (Dream Story)

Story (Rating: 7/10)

Fresh story with a new MC...nice but each episode of this ONA is too short to do much with it. It's like only about 8 minutes. I get it with Yama no Susume but with this franchise, it feels like a budget version of Aikatsu on Parade. It deserves more frankly. The story flow and pacing are short and fast as a flash of lightning, typical of short animations. Easy to understand? Yes, it is. At least the story is not that fast as to miss important things and leaving audiences confused.

LOL! These faces!!!

Art and Animation (Rating: 8/10)

Pretty much the same except most of the singing and dancing sequences are replaced with static images, which means there are a few CG dancing and singing sequences...only when it involves the MC, Otoshiro Noel. sigh...Well, I can't expect much from a short animation series. It's like only about six minutes per episode...( ̄_ ̄|||)...sigh...

Noel and her fellow Dream Academy friends on stage...

Sound and Music (Rating: 6/10)

The song shortage is even worse here in this ONA series. It doesn't even have an opening song. I have no complaints about the BGM but the lack of songs feels bad even though I know that it is a result of short episodes. sigh...it deserves better.

No opening song...so, this is as much as I can give. sigh...

Characters (Rating: 7/10)

Development of the characters practically nonexistent, except for the progress of the event for each character and especially, the growth of Noel. The interactions are decent...TBH, there is too little to say here as it is a short animation of 6 minutes per episode. It deserves better, in my opinion. sigh...

That moment...good friendship...

Enjoyment (Rating: 7/10)

It was decent. I enjoyed it but I felt wanting more from the series. I can't give a high rating for it. Also, the long time gaps in between episodes are unbearable. Even if I watched the whole series in one go after it finished airing, I dun think I will make many changes to my rating for this ONA.

Look that face from Noel...LMAO!



Overall Rating: 7 (7)/10

Screenshots


Anime

Ako-nyan strikes again!

CUTE!!!!

Oh...Moroboshi principal strikes again!

Professor Aoi strikes again!

The two sisters...yeah! Wait! I need to know the answers here!

LOL! That "freezing moment...xD

That ribbon...the sign for the next season?

ONA (Dream Story)

Rock climbing?! At this point, I dun wanna comment...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That moment between Akari and Noel...

Oozora Akari...

...you are SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww...Seira...you love sister a lot, isn't it?

PV/Trailer






Conclusion


Finally, I get to finish this! Anyway, I enjoyed watching this franchise very much. It's sad to see the end of the Aikatsu series franchise. Aikatsu, Aikatsu Stars, Aikatsu Friends, Aikatsu on Parade...all of them are my precious anime. They will forever take a special place in my heart. Well, as for the new Aikatsu project...I will take note of it for sure. I've forgotten that the news of the new Aikatsu project and posted this status on AniList. Anyway, I will continue on my life, keeping this franchise close and dear to my heart. I hope that you enjoy reading it. I hope to have you browsing this blog once again. Goodbye, and God bless you!

Ako is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!



Overall Rating (whole anime): 7.8 (7.625)/10

Comments

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

You said NO Fighting High School Girls?! Why not?

Let's talk about another Trinity Seven movie again!

SukaSuka Anime Review: A SERIOUS Contender for Having the Longest Title for An Anime EVER!!!