Cute girls & spies? It's time for Princess Principal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, people! I'm so excited here!!!! I'm so excited to write about this anime...YEAH!!! I'm writing this even before I've finished watching this anime. I dun even care that I'm telling you that I'm writing about Princess Principal on my title. Anyway, I will complete this post before the CMCO ends. NO, I will finish this post before the end of this week!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They, being together are the BEST!!!

Actually, I wanted to write about Buta Yarou movie after I'd published the Trinity Seven 2nd movie. BUT...I just wanna write about Princess Principal after it just blew my mind with its setting and with its amazingness. At this point, I dun even care that I'm crude about my title!!! DAMN, I said it again. Deja vu! AH!!!!!! BOOM!!!!!!!!!!! And so...LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



WARNING:-

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched it and plan to watch it without anyone being the spoiler, please DON'T CONTINUE READING!!!



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it. You HAD been warned. Don't blame me for being spoiled if you INSIST on continuing to read this post.

Introduction


Anime!!!

The series, Princess Principal (in Japanese, プリンセス・プリンシパル) is a Japanese anime TV series produced by Studio 3Hz and Actas, which was aired from July to September 2017. YES, this is actually an original anime! Anyway, I'm not gonna give further details of the anime's production team. You have to dig that info for yourself if you want to. OK, back to the topic. The series has a picture drama and a six-part film series named Princess Principal Crown Handler, which was slated to be released from April 10, 2020, onwards. BUT, there's a catch regarding the movie. It has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Oh, God, WHY?! WHY You do this to me?! WHY?! crying in the corner...

My darlings!!! The movie...NO!!!!!

Ahem! Sorry, please excuse my manners here. There is also a spin-off game titled Princess Principal Game of Mission, which was launched in August 2017. Interesting...I might wanna check it out for fun. We'll see. Oh, wait, what? Oh, it ended its services back in 2018? Sad. Anyway, with me finished on my mourning on the movie's delay and with my burning passion for this series still blazing hot, it's time to move on and talk more about this anime. LET'S GO!!!!

Another good picture I found...


Plot


Ooh, this official art looks cool

For this anime, I will only give a brief run-through on the anime's plot as this anime is achronological, which means the chronology is neither forward nor backward but scrambled and pretty disorganised. The scrambling of its chronology is not too bad as I can see the logic of the scramble by observation alone. I got it through a little study on what each episode consists of and got more sense of it through reading up on that interview. Anyway, I will try to make sense of the story for you.

Albion...

Spies at mission...

The anime talks about a group of girls doing a spy's job in Albion, a fictional analogue of England in the early 20th century. The anime did make some background on the state of the nation they are in. Damn, this will be long if I explain them in details. I will publish another post on it. Anyway, in short, the background is that nation of Albion is divided in half by revolutionist and royalist despite being able to monopolise a mysterious substance called "Cavorite", which allows them to be the dominant power in the West. With that divide, London is also divided into half. Sounds familiar, ain't it? And also, because of that, London became filled up spies, including the girls that we are gonna introduce next.

Tea time!

Anyway, back to the story. OK, here where I would go with the episode flow instead of the anime's chronological order. The anime starts off by introducing the five girls in the spy team doing spy stuff. The members are Ange, Princess Charlotte, Dorothy, Beatrice and Toudou Chise. These girls serve as undercover spies in the Kingdom and working for the Commonwealth, while enrolled as students at the prestigious Queen's Mayfair school.

Ange and Dorothy at banquet...

Ange meeting Princess...

The anime then moves on to tell us how the princess and Beatrice join the spy team. They got to join in because of the plan to replace the Kingdom's Princess Charlotte with Ange to have a highly placed agent within the royal family, which is under the name "Operation Changeling". Why Ange? It's because she bears a strong resemblance to the princess. Because of some interesting circumstances, the Princess turns the plan on the spies, offering to work with the Commonwealth if Ange and her friends will help her become the Queen of the Kingdom. From there on, the four of them become spies for Commonwealth.

Hey, Chise!

The anime brings us onto another mission by the team after Chise joins in. Wow, wait...this is getting crazy. Let me put in easier to understand terms. BTW, before we go further, the team is actually called the Principal team by their superior, which is called the Control (and was named Team White Pigeon by the girls). That's where the "Principal" part of the anime's name came from. So, now with that settled, I will present it to you using the visual I made:

Nice visual, isn't it?

So yeah, it's quite a mess. So now I will do it chronologically...OK, never mind. The story doesn't really feel like a spy show but more the girls bonding with each other as a spy team. Anyway, I will still give you the chronology of the story. I changed my mind in an instant there. Problem?

 Chronological Number  Episode Number Summary of the Episode
12 How Princess and Beatrice joins the team
23 How Beatrice fits herself into the team
35 How Chise joins the team
44 Another mission as usual
59 How Chise fits into the Albion society
6 1 Another mission as usual
7 7 Another mission as usual
8 6Another mission, Dorothy's background 
9 8 Another mission, Princess & Ange's background
10 10Doing mission, as usual, trouble brewing 
11 11Trouble continues to boil
12 12 Resolution of the incident

Why that chronological mess? I feel that it's because the directors wanna focus on the characters rather than their mission like a usual spy show. The first episode is shown to us to give us the excitement to press unto the next episode and make sure that the story's pacing is doesn't feel too slow. Well, as I arrange the episodes in chronological order, I feel that it's not too bad if they have gone with the usual conventional chronological order but I'm not gonna press on with that matter. Let's move on.

Casablanca time!

Anime Rating


Story (Rating: 10/10)

The story's achronological order is a very brave decision made by the animation team. Oh, well, well, they did it so well that I dun really feel that the chronological order matters although I noticed the weird chronological order of this anime in the second episode. The story flows and paces really well as it doesn't feel like it is too quick or too slow (and making me fall asleep). The story is still pretty easy to understand despite the achronological story sequence. There is a lack of description on quite a lot of the important elements of the setting but most of these are not too important for plot progression. Well, if do know some history and do quick research, you will get quite a lot of the context for certain terms.

Ange...she looks cool there.

Art and Animation (Rating: 10/10)

The art and animation...man, great quality. The Victorian street, the opening sequence, the fighting and action sequences...all of them are great stuff. The animation is consistent. The Radium glow from the Cavorite is awesome. The team have done their arts and animation right on the point. They have depicted 19th century Europe (especially England) right on point, got the feel of the Industrial Revolution.

London...

And more London...

Sound and Music (Rating: 10/10)

The BGM is good and brings out the atmosphere of the Victorian era and the scene of them executing missions. The opening song? Oh, man. I LOVE IT!!! The ending song is nice and cute and relaxing. It feels like it is giving us a time out after going through the intensiveness of this anime.

The C-ball...I love that glow...

That glow is amazing! Feels like Radium...

Characters (Rating: 10/10)

Although I dun like the characters in this anime as much as many others, their lives, interaction with each other and their backstories are all pretty sufficient for the whole story. Their spy lives are pretty calm and soothing, feels like a slice of life show. Well, I understand that they can't be running around Jame Bond mode all the time. I feel that spies might be able to use what they have and blend into the place that they are in. So, I dun think it's not good in any way. Well, maybe, it's just me. Oh, about relatability? I dun think spies are relatable to all of us, especially the younger generation. At least, cute girls hanging out with each other is relatable to a lot of us. Oh wait, I think that the disconnect between the Western world and the Eastern world is relatable to us, which is still felt till this day. Oh, and also, the development (and backstories) of these characters and the inequality around those characters are relatable too. xD

Ange and Princess...playing the piano...

It's time for a duel...

Enjoyment (Rating: 10/10)

At first, I'm enjoying it and was at one point, lost because of the weird chronological order of the anime that I've found on the second episode. After I sorted myself about the story of the anime and a few story twists, that's when I really started to LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would watch it again. xD

LOLIS!!!!!!!!!!!! CUTE!!!!!

And even more LOLIS!!!!!



Overall Rating: 10 (10)/10

Screenshots


That wall...

Green-eyed girl? The hint was the Cavorite incident...Hmmm...

Beatrice's interesting power...

Ange using the C-Ball in action

Swordfight!!!

Chise reporting to her superior...

Loli Princess and loli Ange...

MORE loli Princess and loli Ange!!!

Let's go!!!!!!

PV/Trailer








Oh, here I will give the Movie's trailer. Enjoy...sigh...Just enjoy it despite the delay. The movie's PV is good. Trust me. xD



Conclusion


Oh, hi! Looks like we're at the end of this post. It is been a while since I gave a 10 out of 10 ratings. It's probably just my bias. Again, my burning passion brought me to write about Princess Principal ASAP because I really fell in love with this series. I hope that Covid-19 pandemic will be over. Damn, I never thought that the wave of anime being held off because the pandemic won't hit me. sigh...Whatever. Oh, I actually realised that I've completed this post faster than I've expected. Anyway, I REALLY hope that you enjoy reading and browsing this blog as the pandemic is still rampaging throughout the world. Goodbye, and God bless you!

Cute lolis!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

Yell It OUT LOUD!!!! C-H-E-E-R!!!

I need an apartment for my figures and...maybe a Glass Doll?

Let's Aikatsu! This Time with Our Friends!

A literal dumpster fire! Ooh...brace yourselves...the snowflake storm incoming!!!!