An anime song that is so f**king relatable!!!

Hi. How is life, everybody? I've been going through an emotional rollercoaster in the past two weeks. I have talked it over with someone, trying to ease the pain. Oshi no Ko episode 1 is not exactly helping. The anime Otenshi-sama exacerbates my loneliness, but I admit it's a good watch. Will talk about that further down the line.

Bocchi!!! Remember her?

Back to the topic. I would like to talk about the opening song of Bocchi the Rock after talking about the anime in the previous post. So, let's not waste any more time. Let's go!!!



WARNING:-

Although this post is just about a certain anime song, there might be SPOILERS from the anime. If you plan to watch the anime without any spoilers, you can continue reading or move on.



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it, you HAVE been warned. Don't blame me for being spoiled if you insist on continuing to read this post.


Introduction


The single

The opening song of Bocchi the Rock, Seishun Complex (in Japanese, 青春コンプレックス) was released back in October 2022. The song lyrics were made by Higuchi Ai, composed by otoha and arranged by Mitsui Ritsuo. It is in the singles with the same name and is also included in the album called Kessoku Band. Anyway, the song has become my jam because of its lyrics' relatability to me personally. Anyway, moving on...

Album!

Lyrics


Original

暗く狭いのが好きだった 深く被るフードの中
無情な世界を恨んだ目は どうしようもなく愛を欲してた

雨に濡れるのが好きだった 曇った顔が似合うから
嵐に怯えてるフリをして 空が割れるのを待っていたんだ

かき鳴らせ 光のファズで 雷鳴を 轟かせたいんだ
打ち鳴らせ 痛みの先へ どうしよう! 大暴走獰猛な鼓動を

悲しい歌ほど好きだった 優しい気持ちになれるから
明るい場所を求めていた だけど触れるのは怖かった

深く潜るのが好きだった 海の底にも月があった
誰にも言わない筈だった が 歪な線が闇夜を走った

かき鳴らせ 交わるカルテット 革命を 成し遂げてみたいな
打ち鳴らせ 嘆きのフォルテ どうしよう? 超奔放凶暴な本性を

私 俯いてばかりだ

それでいい 猫背のまま 虎になりたいから

かき鳴らせ 光のファズで 雷鳴を 轟かせたいんだ
打ち鳴らせ 痛みの先へ さあいこう 大暴走獰猛な鼓動を
衝動的感情 吠えてみろ!

かき鳴らせ 雷鳴を

Performance time!!!

Romaji

Kuraku semai no ga suki datta fukaku kaburu fuudo no naka
Mujou na sekai wo uranda me wa dou shiyou mo naku ai wo ho shiteta

Ame ni nureru no ga suki datta kumotta kao ga niau kara
Arashi ni obieteru furi wo shite sora ga wareru no wo matteitan da

Kakinarase hikari no fazu de raimei wo todorokasetain da
Uchinarase itami no saki e dou shiyou! dai bousou doumou na kodou wo

Kanashii uta hodo suki datta yasashii kimochi ni nareru kara
Akarui basho wo motometeita dakedo fureru no wa kowakatta

Fukaku moguru no ga suki datta umi no soko ni mo tsuki ga atta
Dare ni mo iwanai hazu datta ga ibitsu na sen ga yamiyo wo hashitta

Kakinarase majiwaru karutetto kakumei wo nashitogete mitai na
Uchinarase nageki no fuorute dou shiyou? chou honpou kyoubou na honshou wo

Watashi utsumuite bakari da
Sore de ii nekoze no mama tora ni naritai kara

Kakinarase hikari no fazu de raimei wo todorokasetain da
Uchinarase itami no saki e saa ikou dai bousou doumou na kodou wo
Shoudou teki kanjou hoete miro!

Kakinarase raimei wo

Time to rock...in the dark.




English Translation

I liked to hide in a dark and narrow place, deep inside my hood
My eyes glared at this heartless world but hopelessly wished for love

I liked to get wet in the rain because it suited my cloudy face
I pretended to be scared of the storm while waiting for the sky to shatter

Strum through the distorted light! I want to let the thunder roar.
Drum beyond the pain! What should I do? I'm running wild with a ferocious heartbeat now

The sadder the song, the more I loved it because it made me feel better.
I was searching for a brighter place, but I was afraid to reach out and touch it

I loved to dive deep because there was a moon at the bottom of the sea
I wasn’t going to tell anyone about it, but a crooked line ran through the night

Strum in a blending quartet. I’d like to try starting a revolution
Drum in a lament in forte. What should I do? I'm running rampant with a violent nature now

I always had my head down, staring at the ground
But I’m fine with being hunched over like a tiger waiting to pounce

Strum through the distorted light! I want to let the thunder roar.
Drum beyond the pain! Let’s go! I'm now running wild with a ferocious heartbeat
With these impulsive emotions, howl it out!

Strum it! Let the thunder roar!

Kessoku Band in the school festival



Note: Taken directly from Lyrical Nonsense and changed a bit using the translation from this Youtube video.

Chinese Translation

我曾喜欢阴暗狭窄的地方,被我的兜帽罩住,
我愤恨这无情的世界,却不由自主地渴望爱情。

我喜欢淋湿在雨中,因为那与我忧郁的面孔很对称,
装着害怕风暴雨的到来,等待着天空裂开。

使劲地弹奏吧!用光芒的噪音,让雷鸣响彻云霄。
全力地敲响吧!跨越痛楚后,我这猖狂凶猛的心跳该怎么办?

我曾喜欢悲伤的歌曲,因为它让我感到舒适。
我曾渴望着光明,却害怕与它接触。

我曾喜欢潜入深海,因为月亮就在海底。
我理应没将这个告诉任何人,但是扭曲的线在黑夜中奔跑。

使劲地弹奏吧!交会中的四重奏,让我想成就一场革命。
全力地敲响吧!释放悲欢的强音,我这超奔放的狂野本性该怎么办?

我总是低垂着头。
那很好,因为即使低着头,我也想成为一只老虎。

使劲地弹奏吧!用光芒的噪音,让雷鸣响彻云霄。
全力地敲响吧!朝着痛楚的彼方前进吧!将这失控般猛烈心跳
用迫切的心情嘶吼出去!

使劲地弹奏吧! 让雷鸣响彻云霄吧!

Bocchi's first street performance



Note: This translation is done with the help of ChatGPT and this Bilibili video

Malay Translation

Aku suka tempat yang gelap dan sempit, sambil menutup muka ku dengan hud ku.
Walaupun aku benci dunia yang kejam ni, tapi tak dapat tolak hasrat untuk dicintai.

Aku suka dibasahi hujan, kerana sesuai dengan muka ku yang suram,
Aku berpura-pura takut kedatangan ribut sambil menunggu langit kembail cerah.

Main guitar secukupnya! Biar ia berbunyi macam petir di langit!
Main drum secukupnya! Lepaskan kepedihan ni! Apa patut ku buat dengan degupan jantung ganas ni?

Aku suka lagu sedih kerana ia menenangkan.
Aku nak cari tempat terang, tapi takut untuk mendekatnya.

Aku suka menyelam laut dalam kerana ada bulan kat sana.
Aku seharusnya tak memberitahunya, tapi garisan bengkok tiba-tiba muncul di langit gelap.

Mainkan guitar sepuas-puasnya! Ku ingin mulakan revolusi dengan musik aku ni!
Mainkan gendangku sepuas-puasnya! Melepasi kepedihanku! Apa patut ku buat dengan sifatku yang liar dan ganas ni?

Selalunya aku merunduk tapi ku tak kisah.
Walaupun selalu merunduk, aku pun nak jadi harimau sambil merunduk.

Main guitar secukupnya! Biar ia berbunyi macam petir di langit!
Main drum sepuas-puasnya, melepasi kepedihanku! Mari!
Biarlah emosi impulsif ni dilepaskan dengan jeritanku!

Main secukupnya! Biar ia berbunyi macam petir!

The girls during the audition



Note: This translation is done with the help of ChatGPT, a dictionary and Google Translate.

Commentary


Bocchi spinning around...

This song fits really well with this anime, especially with the main character, Gotou Hotori. Well, not like this anime is not about Gotou Hitori...well, it is all about her!!!! Also, hell ya, she is my soul animal because she is so like me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahem! Back to the topic.

Hitori in trash can

The song sings about the Gotou Hitori's social anxiety and loneliness and wishes to have friends and be in a band. Just have a look at the first line of the first stanza which goes like this:

暗く狭いのが好きだった 深く被るフードの中

Hitori (aka Bocchi) always tries to hide in a corner or in a dark and narrow space whenever she feels uncomfortable, which encapsulates the lines describing someone who likes to cover themselves in their hoodie and sit in a dark, narrow corner. Man, that's so like me. I just wanna sit in the corner and mind my own business. I wish I could earn lots of money without working, just like what Bocchi wants.

That moment that Bocchi got her dream...

Also, there is another stanza of the lyrics (which is the chorus) talks about what Bocchi (and I) aspire to:

かき鳴らせ 光のファズで 雷鳴を 轟かせたいんだ
打ち鳴らせ 痛みの先へ どうしよう! 大暴走獰猛な鼓動を

Just as this stanza shows that the socially anxious person wants to be popular and famous, Bocchi wants to do so too as a rock star. Dang! I love rock music and I too wanna be a rock star. I wanna be famous! Ahem! Sorry, I've gone too far off-topic there.

Hitori in the box shows how scared she is...and she likes her nickname

Furthermore, the wish of Bocchi (and I) to go the world beyond herself but is too fearful to do so is well-expressed in this line of the song lyrics:

明るい場所を求めていた だけど触れるのは怖かった

Man, these lyrics really speak so well about Bocchi's fearfulness of the world beyond her dark and narrow world, which the world filled with so much light. Man, me too!!! I walk around a certain area when I'm scared to enter, just like Bocchi! I'm scared of interacting with the world beyond my own, just like Bocchi.

Time for a group photo!!!

Every part of the lyrics touched on the many agony in my life, the many things that I've experienced, the many feelings I have and some of the wishes I have. Man, this is why I love this song so much. AH shit...kinda reminds me of a certain Oshi no Ko opening song. I hate it but it's so good that I hate it even more. AHEM! Sorry! Back to the topic.

LOL! Bocchi!!!! Someone help her!!!

Overall, the song perfectly captures the characteristics of Bocchi-chan (and me) and the things that she wishes to achieve (me too!). It is the exemplification of how a song is so relatable that I love it so much. I really would like to explain each stanza of this song but I gave up that idea because it will be too long and too much work for results that I won't like. I rather release something that I'm satisfied publishing than something half-assed. 

Bocchi the dead fish eyes maid

Conclusion


Glad that you have reached here. This time, the progress is slightly better. The issue is that the Malay translation is not going as smoothly as I thought. I got through with it regardless. Feel free to give some feedback, especially on the Malay translation. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy reading and browsing this blog. Goodbye, and God bless you!

Bocchi, you rock!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

The hilarious story of Being Alone...I mean Hitori Bocchi. xD

Lolis and Shogi? What Better Job Could You Ask For, Yaichi?!

Yell It OUT LOUD!!!! C-H-E-E-R!!!

Time for a bit of bitter sweet high school romance comedy.