Romio and Juliet! With a twist!

Hi, people! How is your year so far? Sorry that I don't have a New Year post and I won't make one. I might even skip the Chinese New Year (or also called the Lunar New Year, for some people) post and do the same thing as the New Year's post. I did post a somewhat New Year-ish post but it is on my AniList wall. Come and check it out!

Guess the anime?

Anyway, I was planning to do the anime post about Oregairu but I'm having a little hard time writing it. To get out of my writer's block temporary, I will about another anime instead, which is...Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet. Plus, I was in a reading spree on the manga itself. A lot of ideas coming to me. Anyway, without further to do, let's go!!!



WARNING:-

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched it and plan to watch it without anyone being the spoiler, please DON'T CONTINUE READING!!!



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it. You HAD been warned. Don't blame me for being spoiled if you INSIST on continuing to read this post.

Introduction


The anime poster...

The anime, Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet, or as translated in English as Boarding School Juliet and in Japanese, 寄宿学校のジュリエット is adapted from a Japanese shōnen manga series of the same name. Anyway, the manga is written and illustrated by Yōsuke Kaneda and began its serialization in Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine in 2015, which was later moved to Weekly Shōnen Magazine in 2017. Like most manga, it releases the special volumes series packing with only Boarding School Juliet. This manga is later published digitally in English by Kodansha USA under the Kodansha Comics imprint from April 10, 2018. That is a surprise.

The manga cover...

There is an interesting adaption, a light novel adaption of this manga written by Tadahito Mochizuki and illustrated by Kaneda. This LN was published by Kodansha in a single volume on February 9, 2017. So, yeah...it's a one-shot LN rather than a series. As for the anime tv series adaptation, it is by Liden Films, which began airing from October 6 to December 22, 2018, in the Animeism programming block.

The light novel cover...

Plot


Black vs White...

The story starts with a fight between two dorms that houses two rivalling nations' students. The White Cats dorm houses the students from the Principality of the West. As for the other dorm, the Black Dogs House (it's actually called the Black Doggy House but I feel that it sounds insulting to me so I rather not use it), houses the students from the Nation of Touwa. They always fight with each other whenever there is a chance or even from a little argument.

It kinda weird to say this but...it's Romio vs Juliet!!!

Anyway, our to-be-couple will be formed just a little while after another fight between the two dorms. They are Inuzuka Romio, the 1st Year Leader of the Black Dogs and Juliet Percia, the 1st Year Leader of the White Cat. The story told that Romio has an unrequited love for Juliet Percia for quite a while. Like EVERY love story, the formation of this couple started with a love confession. The love confession started with a sword fight between Romio and Juliet after Romio saved her from the assault of his fellow dorm mates.

This is not it appears to be!

The proposed sword fight by Juliet initially shook Romio but Romio instil his determination when he understands the reason why she wanted to fight him. Oh yeah, before Romio tried to confess to her but failed. LOL! Anyway, back to fight. Romio confessed to her almost at the very start of the fight. Knowing that Juliet wants the power to change the world, Romio has also resolved to change the world if it meant staying by Juliet's side. Juliet accepted Romio's love after being impressed by Romio's determination.

The sword fight that leads to the confession...

Happy ending, right? NO!!! They must work hard to keep their relationship a secret from other dorm mates while trying to avoid trouble. Why must their relationship be a secret? This is because they will be rejected and probably exiled them from the school. Why? The rivalling nations and its people HATE each other and don't like the fact that anyone from both nations to have ANY relationships, including and especially love relationship. THAT reason is GOOD enough for any couple of that sort to even show that they are a couple.

The Romio-Juliet couple has been formed!

With that, they embark on a journey to their secret romantic relationship with a bunch of comedy on the way (to make sure that we are not bored). The story to hide their relationship is both nice to watch and really funny at times. I like the story to a point that I have read the manga until the latest chapter, Chapter 86. If you want me to tell you the story, I can tell you but I won't mention it here and ONLY will tell you in a private message or maybe in an email. Anyway, the end of the anime does hint us that the story will involve some politics. Just saying. OK, let's move on.

Isn't Juliet cute? She is probably the only blonde hair girl character that I like.

Anime Rating


Story (Rating: 9/10)

This story used a similar setting as the original Romeo and Juliet story by William Shakespear and turn it into a Romeo and Juliet story that moves in a completely different direction (and also added an element of comedy). Anyway, it is a good story to behold. The element of comedy, romance and action is great. The flow and pacing of the story are actually just nice and allows for an easy understanding. Plus, the story has presented some realities of the pre-World War Two (or maybe even the massive colonialism era). I felt that there are some leftover sentiments of that time (which are similar to the story setting) EVEN till this age and time. Will elaborate on it on a separate post.

That scene...poor Romio

Art and Animation (Rating: 8/10)

The characters are drawn really cutely, really cute. One of the people I know like Komai Hasuki, Inuzuka's childhood friend. For me, I like Juliet. Well, not because she is the main character but for that she is cute. Anyway, just my bias. Back to the topic, the arts and animation are really consistent and also, good action scene, no weird movement. Speaking of weird, I wanna go back to Imo-Imo...never mind, leave that aside. I will talk about it next time as the animation of Imo-Imo is seriously disastrous, and even probably downright traumatic. Anyway, let's move on.

Quite nice...the art, I mean.

Sound and Music (Rating: 9/10)

The opening theme song is one of my major jams NOW!!!!! As for the ending theme song, it is quite a fine song. And also, the BGM is decent. Overall, I would give it a pretty high score. Oh yeah, BTW, I like the song that Juliet sang in the anime. Her voice is so sweet!

LOLIS!!!!! Ahem, BTW, it's from the OP scene.

Characters (Rating: 8/10)

One merit of the characters in this show is there are no obvious cliche character types, which probably a good thing to people who are sick and tired of obvious cliche characters. OK, that's my opinion. I might be wrong. Moving on, I love the romance development between Romio and Juliet the most since it is a romance story. Of course, there are also character developments of a few side characters, mostly for those who are close to either Juliet or Romio.

Juliet is pretty while being angry. Ahem, it's just my bias.

Enjoyment (Rating: 10/10)

I seriously enjoyed it. The story feels fresh although the setting has numerous similarities to the original Romeo and Juliet. Anyway, the story was a great watch even until the point where I decided to read the manga as much as possible. Oh, that reminds me of the Nanoha ViVid manga. It was GOOD!!!! Ahem, back to the topic. In short, I have enjoyed it and will rewatch it when I have the time.

The fight for the kitchen maid bento...somehow. LMAO!!!



Overall Rating: 8.8 (8.5)/10

Screenshots


Juliet is VERY angry...

That face...BTW, this is Chartreux Westia, or short for Char.

Hasuki crying...knowing one thing...poor thing.

Students from White Cats and Black Dogs arguing with each other...very common

Poor Maru...LMAO!!!

A rare moment...for Char.

Two lolis welcome you back to your dorm...NO, DON'T CALL THE POLICE!!!

NO, don't call the police!!! This is not what you think it is!!!

Juliet...don't cry...

Romio and Hasuki...DATING?!

Romio and Juliet's second boat ride...

PV/Trailer





Conclusion


Oh, looks like we have reached the end of the post. I enjoyed my time writing this post for you, the readers. Sorry that I can't write the Oregairu post for now because I encountered a bit of a writing block when I try to write it. Will write Oregairu post when I finally can overcome the writing block. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and hope to see you again. Goodbye, and God bless you!

Cute twin lolis for you!!!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

You said NO Fighting High School Girls?! Why not?

Let's talk about another Trinity Seven movie again!

SukaSuka Anime Review: A SERIOUS Contender for Having the Longest Title for An Anime EVER!!!

Time for a fanfare!!!! Fanfare of Aikatsu!!!!! Aikatsu on steroids!!!!!!