Even More Awkward Teenage Story...and Some Ugly Side of Human Beings

Hi, people! With me finished posting the post about Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet anime, I have placed my writing ideas for that anime in words. OK...time for this...unveiling.

They look cute...

So finally!!!!! Finally, Oregairu!!! Well, Oregairu in its original name is a really long one: Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru (that is a long one...). Anyway, about the anime's second season...it took me a while to start watching until the end. It's not that it's bad but...personal reasons. I will tell you as I go along. Let's go!!!



WARNING:-

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't watched it and plan to watch it without anyone being the spoiler, please DO NOT say that I have spoiled you after you have decided to continue to read on.



P.S. If you want to be spoiled, well, go ahead and read it. You HAD been warned. Again, I would like to say: "Don't blame me for being spoiled if you INSIST on continuing to read this post".

Introduction


The light novel...volume 1

The anime, Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru (Japanese: やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。 English Translation: My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected) is adapted from a Light Novel of the same name. It is written by Wataru Watari and illustrated by Ponkan8. The series is abbreviated as OreGairu (俺ガイル) and Hamachi (はまち). To be honest, I have never heard of the 'Hamachi' abbreviation before until I read the Wikipedia page of it. Weirdly, it is also known as My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, which I don't like it as it is quite vulgar.

The manga...

Anyway, this series had gotten three manga adaptations and two anthology volumes. As for the anime, there are 2 seasons of them, which are aired between April and June but are made by two different studios. And yes, this anime is so popular that it has its own video game, titled Yahari Game demo Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru. The game is published by 5pb. for PS Vita and was released on September 19, 2013. Subsequentially, they released a second video game on October 27, 2016. Well, that is a long one. Let's move on.

The PSP game no.1...

The PSP game no.2...

Plot


Hikigaya Hachiman...

Yukinoshita Yukino

The story starts with a loner student, Hikigaya Hachiman as a high school student. One day, he was called by his teacher, Hiratsukato Shizuka into the teacher's room because the essay that he wrote a non-satisfactory essay about high school student life. With that, she forces Hikigaya to join the Service Club, together with an existing member of the club (and the ONLY member), Yukinoshita Yukino. She is quite a beauty but she emits the aura where she hardly has any friends. Wait a minute, it somehow reminds me of an anime. Never mind.

Yuigahama Yui...

Anyway, this is where Hachiman's love comedy journey starts. Not really, it's just a bunch of things for him to resolve, which is the troubles of the different student that approaches the club for help. Of course, there are some funny scenes that happened. The student that came to the club for help right after Hachiman first joined, Yuigahama Yui. She is a cheerful and friendly girl had asked for help in cooking and later, joined them as the club's third member.

The chunibyou...

Anyway, the student's troubles are largely about various social situations in a high school setting. Damn, teen nowadays has so many troubles. Well, it is not the case for a human at any point of their lifetime. Anyway, the story is mostly viewed from Hachiman's perspective of things, which depicts the various psychology driving the interactions of his classmates and other fellow students.

The new animation looks much better, to be honest.

Well, the psychology is the reason why I decided to halt my watch back when the anime's second season was airing. That scene that caused me to halt my watching is the scene where he decided to request for Yui and Yukino's help for the Christmas party was jointly done by two different schools. That whole saga broke me when the MC said that he wanted something real...real relationship, a real understanding of others...OK, let's put personal feelings aside. I'm sorry about this.

Hachiman's confession...that...broke me.

Anyway, most of the psychology in this story paints human in a more negative side. There is a lot of negative side of human interaction (which is why I'm not very keen to interact with people). Like me and many other people similar to me, I think will have the same thoughts as me. This anime even prompted a writer from Anime News Network an article about it, which is entitled: Growing Up Is Hard To Do: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Good article, I say. You can open it on another tab and read it later. The anime exemplifies how growing up as a human being is HARD. Anyway, putting that aside, let's move on.

Hachiman skill at work again...

Anime Rating


Season 1

Story (Rating 8/10)

The story starts off kind of weird (like any other anime) and goes into human psychology almost straight away with Hachiman's inner monologue and through the manner he solves the problem that he encounters. Well, there are also other characters in this story but the focus is hardly on them and is mostly on Hachiman and his 'gang' (which consists of Yui and Yukino). The story could be boring if you feel that the repetitive cycle of solving the problem from students that they accept. BUT, the extra element of psychology makes the anime having a much deeper meaning than just a repetitive cycle of solving issues that the students have. The story has also some rare lighter side of things that makes watching this anime less painful.

Saika asking for help...

Art and Animation (Rating: 6/10)

The arts are not that great but it is not so bad till the point where it is even a pain to be seen, like Imo-Imo. Damn it, Imo-Imo and its horrible animation!!! Anyway, the animation side of it is actually fine, to begin with. Nothing much to complain, for me.

Oh...Saika...

Sound and Music (Rating: 6/10)

The opening and ending theme songs are not very much to my taste but the opening song is quite a beautiful song and the ending song is quite decent. Don't judge them based on my score. It's my bias here. BGM? Oh...it is fine though. So far, I have not heard any BGM that is not used appropriately. If anything like that happens, it will be a HUGE minus.

From the OP scene BTW...

Characters (Rating: 6/10)

There is very minimal character development even for the main characters. I don't have a character that I particularly like in this anime. If you want me to name one character that I like best in this anime, it is gonna be Hikigaya Komachi. She is cheerful, cute...wait, I will stop here. Anyway, the characters are just OK, in my opinion. There is a trap in this show though but I'm not gonna put my focus on that.

Hachiman's skill activated! Observation!

Girls in swimsuit playing in the river...sounds and looks good.

Enjoyment (Rating: 5/10)

The anime is kind of fine to me. The occasionally light-hearted scene didn't really lighten up the anime as much as I would like because the MC is pretty negative and has a really negative train of thought...sounds like...hmmm...never mind, let's move on.

Te~he! Hachiman...that's not gonna work, especially a guy like you.



Overall Rating: 6 (6.25)/10

Season 2

Story (Rating 7/10)

Similar to the previous season but...there are some very subtle dynamic changes between different characters, especially between Hachiman, Yui and Yukino later on due to various circumstances and disagreement of the manner of a certain issue being settled. The story flow and plot are fine but the end lefts the viewers (that also includes me) probably a little confused. The ending gives a feeling of an unresolved matter and somewhat of a cliffhanger. So, only 7 points given. BTW, the psychology element of the story is still there, just like the previous season. Oh, BTW, the OVA is a good watch too!

Again...life in the Service Club

Art and Animation (Rating: 7/10)

The art and animation are much better than the previous season. Well, it's done by a different animation studio, that's why. The characters look much better, of course.

Saika the trap!!!

Sound and Music (Rating: 7/10)

I like the opening theme song quite a lot but for the ending theme song, it's kind of not my thing but I'm fine with it and it's quite beautiful. BGM is fine as usual, BTW.

Another opening song scene...

Characters (Rating: 8/10)

Why the jump of the score from the previous season? Because of the looks of characters? No, you silly. I'm not that shallow. Yes, the looks of the characters have changes BUT the reason is the development of character is much better this season, unlike the previous season, which barely has any development. Like the previous season, a lot of psychology to take in. Growing up IS hard, isn't it?

Komachi is as cute as ever.

Enjoyment (Rating: 5/10)

Like the previous season, the anime feels kind of fine to me. The feel of this anime is pretty much the same except that it is finally living up to its genre, romance. The change of Yui and Yukino are pretty obvious towards the end of the season. Oh yeah, I remember...that thing that I have mentioned earlier. I also want the same thing as what he did, something that is real...in a world where it doesn't feel real at times. Anyway, it took me a while to finally start watching this anime until the end. Another minus is the inconclusive ending as I have mentioned before. This anime needs another season to end this final twist and probably ending this series altogether. OK, let's move on, shall we?

That meeting...


Overall Rating: 6.8 (7.25)/10

Screenshots


Season 1

Oh!!! Cute Komachi!

Komachi is so cute!!!! Ahem...Let's GO!!!

Komachi's te~he is WAY cuter than Hachiman's

In the cafe...

Nice place and also...cute girl! BTW, that cute girl is Rumi

Someone made the cute Rumi feel so sad. UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Season 2

The trouble comes...

Hachiman and Hayato face off!!!

And the troubling and weird confession came...

More cute Komachi!!!

Komachi chatting with Hachiman...

Iroha, another cute girl.

Rumi, the cute girl...is HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hachiman talking with the teacher this time...

Iroha is angry...

LOLIS!!!!! Ahem, sorry, too excited. NO, don't call the police!!!!

Another cute side of Iroha...

A subtle change that Hachiman didn't realise...

...but Yui realise it.

And also, Yukino's sister and others realise it.

PV/Trailer


Season 1




Season 2




Conclusion


Finally, it's almost the end of the page. Sorry for dragging you into occasional self-loathing there. I promise you that the next anime that I'm gonna talk about is gonna be lighter than this. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy it and I hope to see you again. Goodbye, and God bless you!

The beautiful art


Overall Rating (whole anime): 6.4 (6.75)/10

Comments

Popular Posts

The Ultimate Anime Review on BanG Dream: The STAR BEAT!!!

You said NO Fighting High School Girls?! Why not?

Let's talk about another Trinity Seven movie again!

SukaSuka Anime Review: A SERIOUS Contender for Having the Longest Title for An Anime EVER!!!

Time for a fanfare!!!! Fanfare of Aikatsu!!!!! Aikatsu on steroids!!!!!!